Thursday, July 13, 2006

Formal Story Pitch: The Wizard of Stupid













My story pitch was a bit rough for me. We were supposed to act out the idea as much as possible. But since I was on a bit of a vacation while working on this, I got the opportunity to doodle some thumbnails. Some are good, some not so much, but all are small and quickly made, so that is a victory in it's own right. Not to mention, I drew the drawings in my pitch over the course of three or four days whilest sipping mojitos. Well, not exactly mojitos, they were margaritas. Ok, they were Coors lights. Fine, half a Fanta out of a Styrofoam cup. Thanks for killing the dream.

The upside being that I didn't have to act out much as I could hide behind my storyboards. I kinda know that school is for getting better at this stuff, but I also kinda know that in a real world situation, I'd have a pointer and legibly sized storyboards tacked up to the wall. Not to mention, my pitch most likely wouldn't be put on permanent record and published for all the world to download, youtubed, mocked, altered, re-youtubed and blogged about. Although, the paypal pity would be nice.

DISCLAIMER: I'm still a bit hesitant to put this out there on the internets because I seem to have no end of hatred for watching myself on anything, mirrors included, but quite simply what you are about to witness is nothing short of me in a compromised position on the internet. I know better than this. Did Star Wars kid teach us nothing? Not only am I wearing an uber-cool pair of headphones with the microphone built right in (think Kathy, the friendly customer service representative in India) but I'm also trying to sound enthusiastic and not my usual monotone deadpan. So surprisingly, for some reason, take after take I had a strange cadence and intonation to my voice. I got this sing-songy-sort-of-thing going on that can only remind me of Jack Horkheimer. This is not how I normally talk. Usually I'm much more effeminate with a subtle touch of mucus.

Sigh. It all reminds me of why I'm an animator in the first place. Being in front of the camera gives me pleasure equal to deworming cats. I spent the last 10 years hiding behind drawings for a living. So please, I beg of you, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, and this time no dogs allowed.

I just got that carpet done.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

DUDE this is sooo going on my blog

3:22 PM

 
Blogger Mike said...

OK I added ya..now stop crying.

5:15 PM

 
Blogger Brian "My Fault" Nicolucci said...

that is one badass pitch.... LOVED IT!!!!

12:57 AM

 
Blogger ANIMIKE said...

stumbled on your site from sternio's. i like the direction you pitch is taking. i almost feel like the first bloody nose sequence isn't necessary. you might be able to show his dedication by just starting the piece with the first takeoff, followed by the beautiful flight scene you've laid out...after he wakes up it might be fun to show him grab the tape (maybe a broken wing - not tail) and then show him (as the plane back in the air for your credits...only this time his arm would have tape on his arm, showing the hero riding again..into the sunset maybe. just a thought which could make your work load easier and not really detract from the story. either way, looking good so far. good luck.

12:24 PM

 
Blogger anthea said...

curses!!! h. compression! i can't view it from work!!!

11:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.